Saturday, June 6, 2009

David Beckham reaffirms commitment to MLS

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2009/06/06/16/Kazakhstan_England_World_Cup_Soccer.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg


Roll out the red carpet, Major League Soccer. David Beckham is done with AC Milan (for now), training with the English national team for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Andorra, then a four-week vacation, and then he will mosey on back to Los Angeles to grace the Galaxy with his GQ looks and bending free kicks.

He plans to resume training with the team July 11 and play his first game of the season July 16 at the New York Red Bulls. He will stick around for a while, but likely will head back to Europe for an England friendly Aug. 12 against red-hot Netherlands (more on them later) in Amsterdam, and will be gone again for World Cup qualifiers at home against Croatia on Sept. 9, at Ukraine on Oct. 10 and at home Oct. 14 against Belarus.

He has stressed that at this point in his career, his top priority is the national team. He also hopes to return to AC Milan next winter. He played 17 matches for the Italian club on his extended loan, getting two goals and five assists. But Beckham insists he remains committed to the Galaxy and MLS.

''People have questioned me and questioned my commitment to MLS, to the Galaxy, to soccer in America,'' Beckham told MLSnet.com last week. ``I've always said that I'm committed to one, being an ambassador for MLS and soccer in America because I still believe in 10, 15 years this level will lift to a level where it can compete with some of the big teams in Europe. And, obviously, I'm committed to the Galaxy.

``I said that to the players before I left and I said that to the manager [ Bruce Arena] before I left. This is not me running away from soccer in America. I'm fully committed to going back to MLS putting in performances like I know I can, being fully fit and working hard for the team. I still believe we've got very good players on our team and I still believe we should be reaching the playoffs. Hopefully, that will happen this year.''

The Galaxy is in fifth place in the Western Conference, 12 points behind first-place Chivas USA. Despite reports to the contrary, Beckham said he always intended to return to Los Angeles.

''I always said that I would be going back to finish the season with the Galaxy,'' Beckham told The Times of London. ``I never expected to stay for six months. When I first made the decision, it was always for three months. But then, obviously, being given the chance to play until the end of the season was good.''

But his main focus now is on the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

''I think what drives me hard is just playing for England,'' he said. `Obviously, I'd love to win something with my country, but just being involved in every game that I play in, whether it be a friendly or a qualifier, I love playing for my country.''


Source


0 comments: